We are all aware of the usage of CCTV cameras for security concerns and thus you will find them in so many places around you. They, however, can be put to a wider range of applications and one such role in which CCTV cameras play an important role is wildlife photography.
- Wildlife enthusiasts have long been using trail cameras for indicating the presence of wildlife and filming them in remote locations. As these trail cameras have short filming time, they are not very practical for monitoring. CCTV cameras, on the other hand, are more flexible and responsive, and they can capture better quality images, especially in dark.
- CCTV can even be fixed in underwater cameras and in confined spaces like a bird box to record the activity happening inside the box.
- One of the major advantages of using a CCTV system is that it can be set up in such a way that it either records at a particular time or when an event unfolds. So, the regular programmed basis recordings provide a time series that can vary from each minute to every 24 hours.
- One can use variable focal lenses in it, which provides the flexibility to zoom on the target. There are also certain specific features present in CCTV cameras like ‘smart IR’, which comes very handy while photographing wildlife. It prevents the overexposure of nearby objects while you are zooming on a particular target.
- The heat and motion activated camera traps are increasingly used by scientists and conservationists to capture and study the shy, rare, or reclusive species that seldom come out from their remote habitats. The images so captured also help in raising the wildlife conservation awareness.
- Using CCTV cameras have proven to be an effective tool not only for investigating wildlife behavior but also for documenting species’ presence and their distribution. As compared to deploying human observers, they prove to be much more efficient and cost-effective.
- The camera traps have led to major discoveries in the recent years, which would have otherwise been impossible. For instance, Amur leopard could be captured in China after a long period of 62 years. Again, when CCTV footage captured the rarest rhino female with her calf, it proved that they are breeding.
All these things prove that the role of CCTV cameras in wildlife photography is immense.